How do I transfer into an Acadia Physics program?

So, you loved intro physics and are thinking of switching your major?

If you have taken PHYS 1013, PHYS 1023, MATH 1013 and MATH 1023 you are all set to take all of the required second-year courses in the Acadia Physics program.

If you discovered your interest in physics through PHYS 1053 and 1063, you can substitute those courses for PHYS 1013 and next proceed to PHYS 1023 and some other physics and math courses.

If you have also taken 6 hours from any of CHEM 1013/CHEM 1023, CHEM 1113/CHEM 1123, APSC 1413, APSC 2613, COMP 1113, or COMP 1123 that will satisfy some additional physics degree requirements.

The only other first year course we require is either Linear Algebra MATH 1333 or Matrix Algebra MATH 1323.  If you have not taken one of those, they can easily be taken in second year.

Those students who complete the requirements for the Certificate of Applied Science may substitute a total of six credit hours (two courses) from APSC 1133, APSC 2113, APSC 2123, APSC 2213 or APSC 2223 toward their Major in physics.

Regardless of where you are in your studies, we would be very happy to talk about what a switch to physics would look like for you.  If you are not ready to switch majors, consider physics as a second major or a minor.  Contact us or reach out directly to any of our faculty or staff.

What if I am an international student?

Students Nick Mailman, Jean McLaughlin, and Leah Wood preparing to set up a lab activity.